7.10.12

Cactus, Fries & Fruit


D and I often try out different places to go out for dinner in London and so I've decided to do little reviews for each. Over the summer we visited the following:

We went after work on a balmy summers evening, and having popped our name on the list we were given a bleeper and went up to the bar for a drink. The restaurant itself is made from brightly painted shipping containers and has a cool temporary feel. Once at our seats the Mexican street-style food arrived sharpish; it was a tapas-like menu - D had a barbacoa special and I had a cactus taco and chorizo and potato quesadilla. If you're into tequila they have a detailed menu and the waitress was very knowledgeable on that front! 
For a quick evening meal and to eat in a quirky location it's definitely, worth a try!

My brother recommended MEATliquor, having been along a number of times himself, but like Burger & Lobster there's a bit of a queue to endure before you eat! Unlike B&L (they take your mobile number and you pop off to the pub to wait on their call), you have to queue outside for what turned out to be an hour. In the rain. We did get treated to an onion ring though Once we were in we were promptly seated in the dark, almost club-like restaurant, and I feel older-than-my-years by saying it was really loud! Nevertheless the food was simple but delicious, we both had burgers and shared fries and the fantastic, chunky onion rings. My drink came in a jam jar - big thumbs up! 
There seem to be so many burger restaurants at the moment, and the food here was great, but I don't know if I'd go again because of the queue.

For D's birthday surprise, I booked us a table at Dinner. Heston has impressed and awed diners on his television programmes with weird and wonderful dishes, so I was excited to try this gourmet food. We deliberated over the menu for a while, sipping on our G&Ts, and went for: the famous Meat Fruit  and Rice & Flesh for starters; Spiced Pigeon and Black Foot Pork Chop for mains; and Taffety Tart and Chocolate Bar for mains. All were absolutely delicious! The sommelier helped me select my wine choice and we were given a complimentary after dinner sweet with our coffees and teas. I was a bit nervous before we went (1. because D didn't know where he was going and 2. as I wondered if it was going to be really posh), but I needn't have worried.
The whole experience was incredible, so if you save up your pennies (or go for the set lunch menu) definitely go! The ice cream machine that was wheeled out for some American diners sitting near us was a liquid nitrogen spectacle in itself!

Images (clockwise from top left): 1 The Telegraph 2 The Telegraph 3 Wahaca

No comments:

Post a Comment