28.12.14

Twelve Things: November's Bread

One of my favourite things about travelling is eating the local cuisine and back in 2011 I got a taste for the delicacies of Israel. One thing I can't get out of my mind is the aubergine starter from Puaa, the vintage-styled cafe in Jaffa flea market. I was so excited to receive Jerusalem by Yotam Ottelenghi from Lauren for my birthday, full of delicious recipes to try and stories about the history of food from this polemic part of the world.

The first thing I wanted to have a go at was the krantz cake or babka. My attempts at bread in the past  haven't been 100% successful but I thought I'd give it a try. The sweet dough was prepared the night before and left to rise in the fridge overnight. To my delight it had risen, so I got on with preparing the chocolate sauce for the middle. After spreading it across the rolled out dough, you roll it up, slice it down the middle (serrated edged knives really help), plait the two pieces over and place in a loaf tin ready to rise some more, before baking. I must admit I was super pleased with how it turned out, and I think those who tasted it were pretty happy too. Definitely one to give a go, and once my Christmas present of a KitchenAid arrives, there'll be no stopping me!

PS. Don't you think Lottie, the local cat who liked to pop by and sleep on our chair, matches the krantz cake?!

No comments:

Post a Comment